[Air-l] citing a podcast

Lois Ann Scheidt lscheidt at indiana.edu
Thu Aug 3 05:36:21 PDT 2006

I haven't cited a podcast yet for publication but I have given some
thought to how I will do it when the time comes.  In these situations I
tend to look at the choices available in my Reference Manager
(http://www.refman.com/) bibliographic software and the APA Style
Manual.  The best fit I've seen is "Motion Picture" in refmgr or
"single episode from a television series" in the Style Manual.  The
structure would be as follows, I'm using the example from the Style
Manual so it would need to be reworked for the individual podcast
including adding the URL.

Hall, B. (Writer) & Bender, J. (Director).  (1991).  The rules of the
game (Television series episode).  In J. Sander (Producer), "I'll fly
away."  New York:  New York Broadcasting Company.

Maybe like this(?) assuming a single writer/director/producer/etc:

Brake, D.  (2006).  Citing podcasts (Podcast episode).  In "Podcast
name."  London.  Retrieved August 2, 2006 from  ****.

As for whole blogs and individual posts, I use Magazine format with the
URL added.  Whole blogs equal whole magazines and posts equal
individual articles within the magazine.

I like Alex's point about linking to archived resources, when possible.
  The new version of EndNote (http://www.endnote.com/) allows for
multiple URL citation which would be useful when both the original and
an archived version are available.  Maybe that could be cited as
follows:

Retrieved August 2, 2006 from http://***.  Archive copy available at
http://***.

Finally, I save a personal archive copy of anything I plug into the
citation software.  That way I can provide a copy of the page, if
needed.  If the work is no longer available online I usually note that
in a footnote.  The new copy of EndNote allows you to create compressed
libraries of linked files.  Nice features maybe nice enough to make it
worth changing software.

Lois Ann Scheidt

Doctoral Student - School of Library and Information Science, Indiana
University, Bloomington IN USA

Future Faculty Teaching Fellow (2005-2006) - School of Informatics, Indiana
University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI), Indianapolis IN USA

Webpage:  http://www.loisscheidt.com
Blog:  http://www.professional-lurker.com