[Air-l] conceptual lexicon

Christopher J. Richter crichter at hollins.edu
Mon Aug 7 09:34:55 PDT 2006

I think that you (Elijah, Ellis, Jeremy and others) may be working at
cross-purposes here because of the slipperiness of the term
"identity"--illustrating again (ironically?) the need for us to define
specifically how we use a term.  Concerning collective identity I see
three possibilities--there may be more.

1)If by collective identity you mean a sense of self-identity like that
held by an individual, then collective identity isn't possible unless
you believe that a collective has/can have a consciousness (or
sub/unconscious) above/separate from those of the individuals making it
up.  Note that I am specifying consciousness here, not collective
behavior.  I am unconvinced by supposed empirical evidence of collective
consciousness, the appeal of functionalist or Jungian explanations of
the social world not withstanding.

2)If by collective identity you mean that individuals' sense of identity
is intertwined with/formed in some measure through their membership
in/identification with a group, then it obviously does exist.  To use a
trivial example, living in the shadow of Virginia Tech I constantly
encounter neighbors who first and foremost identify themselves as
"Hokies" (whatever that means).  Though it may mean somewhat different
things to the different people who identify themselves in this way, they
certainly have enough in common--shared symbols (e.g. a fiberglass
statue of a turkey in a business suit--really, I'm serious!) and rituals
(watching "the game," modes of discourse, etc.)--that they relate to
each other fairly unproblematically, and give every appearance of
sharing meaning beyond a general drift.  As an aside, this also raises
the question of the stability of individuals' sense of identity--how it
seems to change with context or over time. Again my neighborhood lots of
people seem to identify themselves as Hokies on football Saturdays who
otherwise identify themselves as bankers, farmers, parents, Budweiser
drinkers, whatever, the rest of the week.  And some of them claim to
identify with collectivities such as political parties the values of
which seem to contradict their self proclaimed identities in other
contexts.

3) If by collective identity you mean that we, as observers, can
identify collectives and members of collectives by their use of symbols,
participation in rituals, etc., again, it seems to me obvious that it
does, in this sense, exist.

Of course, I may be off-base here.  Good discussion, though!

chris

Christopher J. Richter
Assoc. Prof. & Chair, Communication Studies
Hollins University
P.O. Box 9652
Roanoke VA, 24020
Tel. 5403626358