[Air-l] ethics - aol data

burkx006 at umn.edu burkx006 at umn.edu
Tue Aug 29 09:34:08 PDT 2006

On Aug 29 2006, Jeremy Hunsinger wrote:

>>> b. any data that is outside of the human mind is insecure and hard to
>>> keep secret, not less keep private.  the situation is worse when the
>>> data is mobile, or networked.
>>
>> Agreed, which fuels the need to build tools/policies/laws to try to
>> ensure such data is not used improperly. Norms of personal
>> information flow have been established in off-line intellectual
>> activities (privacy of library records, for example) - such norms
>> should be protected in online activities as well.
>
>here i think we have an issue with 'properly'..    i'm pretty sure
>that aol is acting properly with its property to the best of their
>knowledge.  likewise google is acting properly with its property.

I'm a little unclear as to Jeremy's referent here; specifically, what
"property" he is talking about. If he is talking about the data, I would
rather vigorously oppose characterizing it in that manner. If he is talking
about the hardware/software on which the data resides, then we need to
distinguish between ownership/control/use of the "property" carrying the
information, and ownership/control/use of the information itself. Google
and AOL may have a proprietary interest in one, but not necessarily the
other.

Julie Cohen is lurking around here somewhere and might have a thought or
two on the distinction. :)

DLB

--
Dan L. Burk