[Air-l] ethics - aol data

burkx006 at umn.edu burkx006 at umn.edu
Thu Aug 31 06:41:07 PDT 2006

On Aug 30 2006, Nancy Baym wrote:

>I don't recall making that claim.

I don't recall you making it either -- if you had, I (or Julie, or Eric
Goldman) probably would have said something.

>My understanding is that in the case of snail mail letters, at least
>in the US, the object belongs to the recipient, but the content
>belongs to the author

With a couple of caveats, absolutely right. Generally true outside the
U.S., too.

>(hence the controversy about the selling of the
>JD Salinger letters a few years ago which ended up not happening --
>if I remember correctly, though the objects could be sold, the
>purchaser would be prohibited from releasing any of their contents).

Sort of. The letters were in many cases donated to archives and libraries,
which could grant access to the physical items they posessed and could
alienate the physical items (recall my discussion with Jeremy about the
horse and the barn). But the libraries had no authority to permit
reproduction of the contents; that right devised to Salinger's estate.

>Legally, if that is an accurate representation of the law, I don't
>know how it translates into email (or any other kind of
>individually-addressed electronic message).

Well, I suppose that the recipient of an e-mail "owns" the electrical
impulses or magnetic flux resident on media in the recipient machine. But
probably the sender "owns" the expression encoded by the flux on the media.

There also has to be some implied permission to make at least a limited
number of copies of the message -- that is how computers work, by making
copies in cache, RAM, etc. -- in order to even be able to read the message.
But an implied license for necessary copying isn't ownership, or carte
blance to redistribute the message.

--
Dan L. Burk
Oppenheimer, Wolff & Donnelly Professor