[Air-l] Ellis and Jeremy

Alex Halavais halavais at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 18:24:30 PDT 2006

I had some difficulty understanding the query Reid was presenting in
his email. It took a bit of translating, I think. I'll try to describe
my reasoning.

The initial, plain reading was that Reid didn't understand the
paragraph because it contained words he was unfamiliar with. I tried
to find them. The paragraph in question passes through Word with far
fewer red squigglies than most of mine, and I consider my own writing
to be downright folksy. Gods help us if we are limited to Word's
words. With the exception of an AWOL apostrophe, I cant think what I
would change.

Simply writing to a list indicating you don't understand particular
words strikes me as a terrific waste of time, so I realized that Reid
must have something else in mind. Clearly, there was a deeper meaning
that needed to be drawn out.

Perhaps what Reid was saying is this: "Although exposed to terms like
axiology and praxis--as any social scientist has been over the last
few decades, whether wittingly or no--those in my own field(s) tend to
treat these ideas superficially and uncritically. I wonder whether
Jeremy or others might be willing to provide some good entry points to
the idea of transdisciplinarity for someone who does not have a
significant background in, say, cultural studies or STS."

At least that is the way I translated his epistle, and as someone who
has spent the last few years bathed in a different kind of scholarly
credo, it resonates with me. Its purpose was not transparent, and I
suppose there are other possible interpretations. I hope that Reid
will correct me if the one I have proffered is incorrect.

Alex

PS. Yes, I made up the word "squigglies." It is a portmanteau of
"squiggles" and "uglies," i.e., something that squiggles in the
ugliest of ways.

> > This was taken from Jeremy Hunsinger's website at:
> > http://transdisciplinarystudies.tmttlt.com/
> >
> > Evidently, science as Jeremy understands it, is properly described by
> > crafting words of his own making. In my judgment, it suffers from a
> > di-flucass of the ugang and is further compackliated by a clogged
> > zortch.
> >
> > Reid
> >

> >   _____
> >

> > Dr. W. Reid Cornwell
> > The Center For Internet Research
> > P.O. Box 6369
> > Breckenridge, CO
> >
> > 720.212.0719 (phone)
> > 970.485.5109 (mobile)
> >  <mailto:wrc at tcfir.org> wrc at tcfir.org
> > http://tcfir.org

//
// This email is
// [X] assumed public and may be blogged / forwarded.
// [ ] assumed to be private, please ask before redistributing.
//
// Alexander C. Halavais
// Social Architect
// http://alex.halavais.net