[Air-l] proposal for an AoIR Newsletter

O'Riordan, Kate k.oriordan at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Aug 24 15:32:39 PDT 2006

Dear AoIR colleagues

I'd like to float the idea of developing an AoIR newsletter.

This venture would need to be a team effort and this email is primarily intended to try and sound out support for the idea, and to find out if anyone is interested in working on this.  As with all AoIR activity this would be volunteer labour with the attraction of being a great experience.  If you want to find out more about AoIR activities, people, resources and related events/work/issues, or if you are an expert in these areas already, this would be a great opportunity to share and develop skills, and enhance or make new connections, and I'm hoping it would also be enjoyable.

I'd like to produce two issues, post them to the list, and see what the feedback is.  I've got ideas for structure, content, process and resources which I'm happy to discuss further with anyone interested in helping put this together.

At this point I'm looking for people from the AoIR membership to act as an editorial team for the newsletter, to input ideas for its structure and content, and to collate AoIR news - in this first and (experimental) instance this would be for 2 newsletters.

The main objective is to provide something of value to AoIR, through consolidating communication and links across AoIR, and bringing together information of interest.  At this point another important aim is to establish if a newsletter would in fact be useful, and what kind of format, shape and delivery would best serve AoIR - I'm approaching that question by trying it out.

If you would be interested helping plan this, and in making up an editorial team, to write and edit a newsletter, and collate AoIR activity, please let me know as soon as possible, and I'll coordinate efforts, both to get an AoIR newsletter together, and to evaluate the process for the first 2 editions. In terms of time lines I'm hoping to get a first issue out soon - this autumn if at all possible.

Many thanks for your time in reading this so far - please think about it and email me if you have any questions and/or interest in taking part (in the next 2 to 3 weeks please), volunteers very wellcome!

All the best

Kate O'Riordan