[Air-l] maybe a silly question.. but

Jonathan Cornwell jrc at tcfir.org
Mon Aug 28 08:33:01 PDT 2006

Mary,

It's been a while since I've visited Bourdieu but I do hold the position
that "individuality" is somewhat less distinct than one might commonly
presume. Certainly, one could construct an instrument of a thousand
dimensions to measure each person and each person would have some unique
"shape" in the pattern of such an assessment but, in practice, this "fabric
of traits" must confront the homogenizing influence of culture and social
control. That we each show signs of belonging to our cultures demonstrates
the varying boundary between individuality and cultural membership.

I had forgotten how similar Bourdieu's thoughts are to The Looking Glass
Theory ("I am what I think you think I am") and to the anthropologist Mary
Douglas' thoughts that most, if not all, cultural metaphors derive from the
body.

What is truly interesting about all of these phenomena on the Internet is
that "taste fabric" is the primary means of constructing identity on the
Internet. This is done with a deliberation that is unusual in realspace. It
seems to me that a contrast between netspace and realspace is how
serendipity (in way Bandura used the word) plays a much greater role in most
aspects of identity (and, by extension, taste/preference) formation in
realspace. Even if one allows that one's netspace identity is largely a
projection of one's realspace identity (or, perhaps, a fictionalized
contrivance), one still must consciously, actively construct one's netspace
identity to participate in social networks... a process that seems to have
few realspace analogs. This consciously constructed net identity then
becomes currency in the social spaces. This dimension of serendipity in
realspace is driven to a great degree by one's physical location but, in
netspace, proximity doesn't have the same meaning except through behavior
(where, when and how one participates in netspace).

Please allow that these are merely my thoughts at the moment; all knowledge
is provisional after all *smile*.

Thanks for the reminder on Bourdieu.

Jonathan Cornwell