[Air-l] ethics - aol data

burkx006 at umn.edu burkx006 at umn.edu
Tue Aug 29 09:21:51 PDT 2006

On Aug 29 2006, Jeremy Hunsinger wrote:

>a few minor points that some will disagree with....

>c. most people in the developed world have already in some form or
>another by license or contract signed away whatever privacy that they
>had in their use of the internet.

Well, although the general point is a worthwhile, I have to quibble with
this one just a bit. Private agreements don't trump public statutes. There
are some things that we don't let you sign away -- like kidneys, the right
to vote, babies, and certain privacy protections, depending on how
paternalistic your local jurisdiction may be -- the Europeans are highly
paternalistic, the Americans less so, the Canadians (as always) somewhere
in between. But to the extent that a license attempts to override public
policy in any of those places, it's void.

More specifically, one of the U.S. claims against AOL is that the data
release is an ECPA violation. ECPA isn't the height of privacy protection,
but it is something. DLB

--
Dan L. Burk
Oppenheimer, Wolff & Donnelly Professor