[Air-l] ethics - aol data

Jeremy Hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Tue Aug 29 10:24:39 PDT 2006

> can't a person lurk in peace?
>
> Jeremy, I'm not sure what kind of statement you're making.  If a
> statement of positive statutory law, it's true (but only in the U.S.)
> that there are statutes establishing privacy claims in medical and
> dental records but none establishing claims in search logs.  In the
> European countries at least, I think there are statutory privacy
> interests covering both medical/dental records and search logs.  I
> believe that search logs are also subject to some retention
> requirements
> for law enforcement purposes (this is true at least at the EU level
> but
> I have no idea about the status of national implementation), but the
> personal information they contain isn't considered the ISP's property.

above, i was making the more factual claim from my understanding of
the situation, which granted was informed by a logging architectures
SANS class and not a law class :)

> If, otoh, you're making a more general normative statement that
> privacy
> interests exist in medical/dental records but not in the contents of
> searches, why?

oh, i generally don't argue that privacy exists.  i take the claim to
privacy as existent along with a huge body of discourse that has
influenced laws and institutions.   Instead of privacy, I tend to
argue that people have a moral claim to their body and mind and
anything beyond that is either relations of power as manifest in the
state and its institutions or an economic claim.

This is because I don't really think that privacy exists or operates.
In the U.S., I see privacy fundamentally as a construct that helps to
manage the relationship between record-keeping in the state interest
and capitalism.  it attempts to carve out a space that is not to be
exploited, but really... i don't see that space as autonomous or
unexploited.

anyway, i could go on and on with what i think, but until i actually
publish it... it doesn't matter much :)

> --
> Julie E. Cohen
> Professor of Law