[Air-l] Statistics Canada - General Social Survey: The Internetandthe way we spend our time

Caroline Haythornthwaite haythorn at uiuc.edu
Wed Aug 2 09:06:06 PDT 2006

Reading 'The Daily' -- the statscan report -- rather than the media account, it
seems to me there are a number of places where the write-up is causing
confusion.

Two things in particular stand out -- the use of "the day" appears to mean
literally the one day asked about, not a general measure of daily activity.
Respondents filled out a diary for on 24 hour period. However, to me the term
'day' means daylight/9-5 hours, and hence the report is confusing (although if
you look at the questionnaire it is quite clearly the 24 hour period).

The other thing is that the report implies causality, e.g., "Internet use takes
away from the time that its heavy users devote to both family life and chores
around the house" -- but there is no comparison of before and after, so the
statement about 'taking away from' is unsubstantiated. (In my quick look at the
questions, there seems to be only one question that asks about prior experience
-- asking about whether people feel more rushed now than 5 years ago).

It's a lesson on how to write clearly and not to go beyond the interpretations
possible from the data collected. I think it is also worth looking at the results
themselves to get the best view of the work.

/Caroline