[Air-l] conceptual lexicon

Jeremy Hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Wed Aug 9 18:14:34 PDT 2006

well, one of the problems with rigor is that it often causes us to
create fictions and surrealities where actually phenomena will
suffice.   rigor is a covering word for methodological ideologies.
There is nothing particularly wrong with that, so long as we know
that whatever empirical datum we construct is recognized as
constructed.  similarly with the call for simplicity, simplicity is
appropriate when the actual world is simple, but simplicity isn't
necessarily the case and again in my experience, people simplify
things, they cut out the complexity of variables in a fashion that
while complete justified statistically or in other systems... might
not be justified when you really work through the reality instead of
its representations.