[Air-l] qualitative analysis of discussion board postings

Alison Muirhead alison at inspire-research.co.uk
Fri Aug 11 01:59:36 PDT 2006

Dear All,

I'd definitely agree with what you've posted Yanuar, the software should
only be thought of as assisting the process (i.e. ease of storage and
retrieval) it still relies on the researchers own skill in developing and
applying the coding frame.

I'm currently using MAXqda2(see http://www.maxqda.com/ for the 30 day demo
version). It's not terribly cheap but I found it easier to pick up than
Nvivo, and have used it for coding interviews, learning journals, and even
project documentation. It is also very easy to display e.g. "all segments
coded against x", or "all segments coded against x for subject a" etc and
many other variations which were sometimes problematic in Nvivo. I think
it's worth checking out.

I'd be interested to hear more about the framing theory mentioned, I don't
think I've come across it before.

Best wishes,
Alison Muirhead
Inspire Research