[Air-l] capturing social interaction with RFID tags or other tech (was: re: RFID)

Denise N. Rall denrall at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 28 15:08:10 PDT 2006

Dear M.B. Gaved & others -

Hee is a partial bit of an email I captured - I
believe from Carolyn Haythornwaite. Apologies if I
have the attribution wrong.

 There are two projects I know of. One is called
IKNOW, developed by  Nosh Contractor at UIUC.
Participants can pre-enter their interests and   IKnow
> then shows the social networks among them based on
their interests.

> http://www.spcomm.uiuc.edu/Projects/TECLAB/IKNOW/
>
> The other is a system called Intellibadge, lead
developer Donna Cox,  using RFID badges to capture and
display co-participation at conferences
http://intellibadge.ncsa.uiuc.edu/index.htm

> Both are useful for conferences. The Intellibadge
requires physical devices, but IKnow does not.
--- "M.B.Gaved" <M.B.Gaved at open.ac.uk> wrote:

> Dear Reid (and other AoIR'ers)
>
> do you have a contact for the conference organisers?
> (re: RFID tags). I'd love to find out how the system
> worked. Can anybody point me at any references to
> work carried out trying to automatically capture
> social interactions? RFID or otherwise...
>
> Lots of social as well as technical issues to be
> considered, as has been pointed out by other
> posters.
>
> many thanks!
>
> Mark
>

> Mark Gaved
> Knowledge Media Institute
> The Open University
> Walton Hall
> Milton Keynes, UK
> MK7 6AA
>
> http://kmi.open.ac.uk/people/mark

Denise N. Rall, PhD thesis in revision, School of Environ. Science,
Southern Cross University, Lismore NSW 2480 AUSTRALIA
Tuesdays: Room T2.17, +61 (0)2 6620 3577 or Mobile 0427 245 497
http://www.scu.edu.au/schools/rsm/staff/pages/drall/index.html
Virtual member, Cybermetrics Group, University of Wolverhampton, UK
http://cybermetrics.wlv.ac.uk/index.html