[Air-l] ethics - aol data

burkx006 at umn.edu burkx006 at umn.edu
Tue Aug 29 14:43:16 PDT 2006

On Aug 29 2006, Jeremy Hunsinger wrote:

>>In any event, intentional or not, once it's out of the
>> barn, they
>> have no ability -- which is to say no property right -- to prevent
>> its use
>> by whomever happens upon it.
>>

>ahhh, I was arguing that they 'owned' it before they released it, not
>after that (i don't know what status it would have now).

But that's an odd conception of "owned," isn't it? I still own my horse,
even after it gets out of the barn, because I hold a property interest in
it.

>I thought
>that they released it under license originally.

Could be. I can keep you out of the barn on the basis of my property right
in the barn. That's different than my property right in the horse. If I
grant you a license to take the horse out of the barn, any claim I have for
breach of our agreement is against you. But if I have property rights in
the horse, I have a claim against anyone who grabs it once it is out of the
barn, license or no. DLB

--
Dan L. Burk
Oppenheimer, Wolff & Donnelly Professor