[Air-l] writing effective questions to lists

Charlie Balch charlie at balch.org
Sat Dec 9 20:32:10 PST 2006

Barry,
Great topic! I have a few additions to your guidelines:

* A sense of humor helps so long as it does not distract too much from the
question.

* Present the question in such a way that it will be of interest to members
of the list and within the guidelines. If you can't do this then the
question does not belong on the list.

* Avoid cross-posting.

* A challenge as part of the content showing that you have done your
homework often helps. I.E. I've found this and that, can anybody add to my
knowledge.

* Check and mention that you have checked the list archives to see if your
question has been asked before.

* An offer to share a compilation of results from all sources is also
sometimes helpful.

* Brief is usually better.

Let us know what else you find out...

Charlie