[Air-l] writing effective questions to lists

Marj Kibby Marj.Kibby at newcastle.edu.au
Sun Dec 10 11:12:52 PST 2006

I'd think the only rule is

1. engage the interest of the list.

Abigail's question is obviously an excellent example of writing an
effective question to a list - given the responses that it generated.

Marj

Dr Marjorie Kibby,
Senior Lecturer in Communication & Culture
Faculty of Education and Arts
The University of Newcastle,  Callaghan NSW 2308 Australia
Marj.Kibby at newcastle.edu.au
+61 2 49216604
>>> Barry Wellman <wellman at chass.utoronto.ca> 12/10/06 1:24 PM >>>
I'm gearing up to write a book on writing for the social scientists.

I want to put in something about how to write in listservs, chat groups,
IM, etc.

I was struck this week by Abigail's Q (see below) which I thought was a
good example on how NOT to answer a question, because it was so broadly
framed: what is it about time that Abigail is interested in?
(dissertation
advising manta).

Yet, I have been struck by how much interesting discussion Abigail's Q
has
evoked. For one thing, there ain't much on time (altho did anyone
mention
Evitar Zeruvabel?), so anything might be worthwhile. Second, the
broadness
of the Q seems to have served as a projective test -- evoking a variety
of

So, I am lead to wonder and to ask: what tips do people have for posting
to lists?

My quick guide is:

1. Be specific as to content and need.

2. Lurk on the list for a while to get a sense of its style.

3. Try to post something else first, so that you are contributing as
well
as asking for information.

PS: I'd like to endorse Frank Thomas' request for evidence on Virillo's
conjectures.

 Barry Wellman

  Barry Wellman   S.D. Clark Professor of Sociology   NetLab Director
        for fun: http://chass.utoronto.ca/oldnew/cybertimes.php