[Air-l] public libraries adopting CTCs

Michel J. Menou Michel.Menou at wanadoo.fr
Tue Dec 12 08:47:15 PST 2006

Fwd from Jesse list of Dec. 8, 2006

> QUERY: trend toward Public Library "adoption" of independent CTCs?
> De:
> David Perrotta <gradresearch at EB11.COM>
> Date:
> Sun, 10 Dec 2006 10:52:15 -0500
>

> I'm an MLIS student at University of Pittsburgh, and I'm attempting to
> determine whether or not there is a trend toward public libraries
> "adopting" independent community technology centers and managing them
> as subsidiaries.  This has happened in Oberlin, OH where I live, and
> it has been a very positive move for both institutions (the library
> and the CTC).
>
> What I'm wondering is whether this is an anomalous situation or part
> of a larger trend.  I'm aware that numerous public libraries house
> Community Technology Centers, but I have no information on how many of
> these began life as independent projects and how many were library
> initiatives from the start.
>
> So far, my search of the literature in the library and information
> science and sociology domains has turned up very little.  I would be
> very interested to hear from anyone who is aware of published work on
> the subject.
>
> with thanks,
> - David Perrotta
>
>   dnp7 at pitt.edu
>   david.perrotta at oberlin.edu
>

> -----------------------------
> David Perrotta
> MLIS Student
> School of Information Sciences
> University of Pittsburgh
> 601c Information Sciences Bldg.
> 135 N. Bellefield Avenue
> Pittsburgh PA 15260
> tel. 412-624-9370

Dr. Michel J. Menou
Visiting Professor, SLAIS, University College London, U.K.
Consultant in ICT policies and Knowledge & Information Management
Adviser of Somos at Telecentros board http://www.tele-centros.org
Member of the founding steering committee of
Telecenters of the Americas Partnership http://www.tele-centers.net/
B.P. 15
F-49350 Les Rosiers sur Loire, France
Email: micheljmenou [at] gmail.com