[Air-l] journals already exist

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Mon Dec 18 08:36:25 PST 2006

My own feeling is that the more journals, the better.
Even though I am have a conflict of interest as an editor of Information,
Communication and Society.

But I also must point out that "we" already have a bunch of journals right
up our alley.

iCS (the aforementioned)
New Media & Society
The Information and Society
JCMC (online only): Journal of Computer Mediated Communication

plus some more specialized ones.

So there are already many places to publish.

And as a frequent referee, I do not see the field swamped with too many
good papers.

In short, let there be 1 or 5 new journals, if there is energy and quality
to sustain them, but please folks take advantage of what's out there
already.

 Barry Wellman

  Barry Wellman   S.D. Clark Professor of Sociology   NetLab Director
        for fun: http://chass.utoronto.ca/oldnew/cybertimes.php