[Air-l] Community "Critical Mass"?

Chris Modzelewski chris.modzelewski at imetria.com
Wed Dec 20 17:35:54 PST 2006

Hello Everybody,

I've got a (hopefully) quick question: is anyone familiar with research
into when an online community attains a "critical mass" and becomes
self-sustaining?

In terms of community, I'm thinking of online communities such as
wikipedia, YouTube, MySpace, etc. that specifically require
participatory involvement. In terms of "critical mass" I'm thinking of
audience size / reach, ratio of "posters" to lurkers, etc.

Does anyone know of research into this area? Any and all help would be
greatly appreciated.

All the best,
Chris Modzelewski

--