[Air-l] Community "Critical Mass"?

Hugemusic hmusic at ozemail.com.au
Thu Dec 21 16:22:36 PST 2006

Sorry, guys but I just don't agree.

Sure, there's no hard and fast number that will indicate a critical mass for
all, but there has to be some statistical indicator of probable
sustainability - we're just not exploring the relationships deeply enough
yet.

How about the number of participants as a function of the universe of
possible participants?  Could it be that in a universe of, say, 200 nerds,
if you get 20 nerds (10%) together on a discussion list to talk Monty
Python, they will form a critical mass that will expand the population to a
maximum of 85% of the universe over a lifecycle of, say, the number of weeks
that there are hours of Monty Python footage (including "Live at the
Holywood Bowl") before they run out of lines to quote and the list dies?

Or something ...  ;-)

The mathematics is probably a complex relationship of population, vigour,
topicality, and lifecycle (and more factors) but to just shrug and say
"mathematics won't help" reveals a lack of mathematic knowledge and/or
imagination. I'm pretty sure you'd find something useful in the literature
on (dare I say it) market research, in which marketers are considering the
probable success of a new brand in a particular marketplace - and numbers
are everything to those guys!  Andy's absolutely right about the value of
knowing this ...

What needs to happen here (if it hasn't already) is a statistical (and
qualitative) examination of what we know about communities that have come
and gone ... and the factors that led to that evolution and devolution.
There are quite a few about these days - mostly conveniently archived on
some server somewhere. Hindsight *is* everything. The biggest problem might
be that we don't know enough about how many (and why) people *didn't* join
up or join in ....

Anyway, in my book there's no such thing as "no way of knowing", there's
just a shortage of imagination in examining the data ... someone's just
gotta start somewhere.

Cheers,
Hughie