[Air-l] The internet and time

Laura Sheble sheble at email.unc.edu
Sun Dec 10 16:24:44 PST 2006

Abigail,

This might be a slight tangent to time on the internet - the article
below is about "waiting for services on the internet".  I found it to be
interesting because, from a user's perspective, it looks at time spent
waiting both online and when not online (e.g. total time spent waiting
for an email message or the delivery of something ordered online).

Ryan, G. & Valverde, M. (2005). Waiting for service on the internet:
Defining the phenomenon and
    identifying the situations.  Internet Research: Electronic
Networking Applications and Policy; 15
    (2): 220-240.

If you find the this article interesting, there is a review paper on
waiting on the internet written by the same authors:

Ryan, G. & Valverde, M. (2003). Internet; Waiting; Downloading; User
behaviour
    Waiting online: a review and research agenda. Internet Research:
Electronic Networking Applications; 13 (3): 195-205.

Laura Sheble
PhD Student
School of Information & Library Science
University of North Carolina