[Air-l] The internet and time

Denise N. Rall denrall at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 15 16:26:06 PST 2006

Re: Time and the internet

Well I'd want to know a great deal about time first,
then time on the internet.

Here's a classic:
Rifkin, J. 1987. Time wars: The primary conflict in
human history. New York: Henry Holt & Company.

It's out of print I believe but *highly* recommended.
It will "set the scene" for the changing use of time,
particularly in the industrial world. I believe he has
endnotes to academic sources.

These ideas are later explored in:
Gleick, J. 2000. Faster, faster, faster.

But I think Rifkin is the far better book, well worth
searching for.

Phil Agre noted some problems in this paper:
Agre, P. 2002. The limits of cyberspce. Science as
Culture, 11(2).

Eriksen, T. H. 2001. Stalking the tyranny of the
moment: Fast and slow time in the information age.

I'm sure someone has mentioned this one in
relationship to search engines:

Wouters, P., Hellsten, I., & Leydesdorff, L. 2004.
Internet time and the reliability of search engines.
First Monday, 9(10), [online].

Cheers, Denise

Denise N. Rall, PhD thesis submitted, School of Environ. Science,
Southern Cross University, Lismore NSW 2480 AUSTRALIA
Tuesdays: Room T2.17, +61 (0)2 6620 3577 or Mobile 0438 23 33 44
http://www.scu.edu.au/schools/rsm/staff/pages/drall/
Virtual member, Cybermetrics Group, University of Wolverhampton, UK
http://cybermetrics.wlv.ac.uk/index.html