[Air-l] another publication semi-trap

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Sun Dec 17 13:35:02 PST 2006

While we are on the subject of publication traps (re for $$s journals and
conferences), I'd also suggest being wary of prospective editors calling
for submissions to a forthcoming book in which they either:
a) do not name a publisher
b) name a publisher who tends to be expensive and not to market/distribute
well. (I won't name names, but some of you may have an idea.)

I know I've been burned in the past. For one example, our really nice
"Immanent Internet" paper got buried, without distribution in North
America (even on Amazon). And the book containing our "Connected Lives"
paper never got to the American Sociological Association meetings. (Both
on my website in earlier form.)

I also realize that younger scholars, or those in some schools need to
build a vitae, but I nevertheless persist in believing that our prime duty
is to communicate to others.

 Barry Wellman

  Barry Wellman   S.D. Clark Professor of Sociology   NetLab Director
        for fun: http://chass.utoronto.ca/oldnew/cybertimes.php