[Air-l] Intro, and question re maths quiz software

Bronwyn Clarke bclarke at une.edu.au
Sun Dec 17 15:02:59 PST 2006

Hello all,
I've been lurking on the list since joining AoIR for the Brisbane
Conference in September, which was a great experience.

I've just completed my first year of part-time PhD candidature at the
University of New England in Armidale, Australia. My research is exploring
internet communities of romance genre readers and writers and their
perspectives and impact on the genre. Cultural studies, popular culture,
cyber-culture, technology, literary and genre studies, and gender issues -
yes, it's a large and exciting topic to explore, and will definitely keep
me busy for a while!

My other internet research interests revolve around my work as an
educational developer, where I'm particularly interested in the use of
social software and collaborative strategies in distance education at
higher-ed level, and struggling with strategies for implementing these for
large class sizes without tutorial support.

However, just now I'm on a short time-frame to find some open-source,
easy-to-use quiz software that we can use to develop a series of tests for
assessing numeracy and mathematical skills at higher-education level. As
well as mathematical functions, we're looking for automatic grading,
feedback facility, reporting and analysis of results at individual and
group level. If any of the educators on the list can make a recommendation,
could you please email me off-list? <bclarke6 at une.edu.au> I'd really
appreciate it.

Looking forward to further involvement in the list and AoIR (and planning a
paper for the Vancouver conference...)

Cheers,
Bronwyn

Bronwyn Clarke