[Air-l] TANSTAFL

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Tue Dec 19 15:50:49 PST 2006

David Silver suggested our proposed journal be free to all, as JCMC seems
to be.

But even if online there are costs, which someone has to pay for with
either bucks or sweat.

I was the initial founder of _City & Community_, and am still on the
board. Here are some ideas about the costs, from memory, excluding
printing and postage.

Managing editor (a grad student): $20K/year

Editor (faculty member) teaching reduction -- if you're lucky, donated by
your university. If you're not, my university would charge about
$20K/year.

Room -- will the university give it to you for free or charge rent.

Furnishings: ibid

Phone, xerox, etc. Figure $5K year.

So a free journal is at least $25K a year in cost, and maybe twice that.
Unless you can convince the university to subsidize and a student to work
for free.

 Barry Wellman

  Barry Wellman   S.D. Clark Professor of Sociology   NetLab Director
        for fun: http://chass.utoronto.ca/oldnew/cybertimes.php