[Air-l] Quant analysis in AoIR

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Fri Dec 22 18:20:33 PST 2006

I finally took the time to read _Internet Research Annual 2005_ (based on
the 2003 conference.

I was surprised that none of the 20 chapters used numbers (dare I say
quantitative analysis): not even a frequency distribution or x-tab?

Was this AoIR policy at the time? Is it now? Were no quant (or mixed-mode)
chapters good enough?

The volume basically sends an implicit message that only non-quant.
analyses are welcomed in AoIR, despite pronouncements to the contrary.

I hope that when the next Annual comes out, it will be a different story.

 Barry Wellman

  Barry Wellman   S.D. Clark Professor of Sociology   NetLab Director
        for fun: http://chass.utoronto.ca/oldnew/cybertimes.php