[Air-l] Community "Critical Mass"? (Dr. T. Michael Roberts) / Research Survey

Peter Ryan pryan at politics.ryerson.ca
Wed Dec 27 09:53:58 PST 2006

Dear all,

This is my first post to the AoIR listserv, although I’ve been lurking for a few months now.

I’m currently completing by doctorate in an interdisciplinary graduate research program, and I find this discussion of methodology interesting in that the pedagogy of my university definitely supports the view that methodological issues should be approached from the perspective of using the "best" methods for addressing and observing a researcher’s object of study.  For example, if I’m researching best practices for how people interact with and use a particular software, perhaps an ethnographic or qualitative usability study would better serve my needs, rather than a quantitative study that captures the order of icons that a user selects while using the software (and other such statistically measurable items) -- although the survey would definitely add extra elements to the research “story” if it were well designed, as Dr. T. Michael Roberts is describing.

Similarly, on-line content analysis and textual analysis tools are now often helping reduce narrative reports to numbers with ease.  In other words, new on-line tools and communities like TAPoR, for example, are adding to the ease with which quantitative analysis can now be conducted.  Often it is an issue of simply adding an automated survey, or other form of reporting, that could lend itself to later quantitative analysis, for an added perspective to a qualitative study “story”.

For example, here’s a shameless self promotion, if anyone has any free time this holiday break, I’d greatly appreciate anyone interested in the topic of how literature affects research and development filling out my quick little doctoral research survey – which can be found at the following link:

* <a href="https://www.runner.ryerson.ca/PRSurvey/survey.cfm">https://www.runner.ryerson.ca/PRSurvey/survey.cfm</a>
* https://www.runner.ryerson.ca/PRSurvey/survey.cfm

*Please take the time to fill the survey out, especially if you are either 1) a published author or 2) employed in the information communication technology sector. The survey should take about 15 minutes of your time, depending on your level of involvement.  I appreciate any and all comments and feedback – the more information recorded here, the better because it will help both my quantitative and qualitative research analysis in the long run.

*Also, if you know any other interested networks or listserves that might not mind this type of research circulating on its servers, I would appreciate the survey being forwarded on...

More information on my research can be found by following the link above.

At this point, I hope that the survey will travel far and wide like a stolen garden gnome that will one day come back to its owner.

*Importance of this Research*

I hope that you will take the time to help this research because of its importance in the following listed areas of study. Specifically, this research aims to develop:

1)	a better understanding of how to improve the potential of networked research via the use of computers. Computers have been called the “imagination machine”, but are we using our new abundance of information effectively and imaginatively?

2)	an interdisciplinary understanding of how the “two cultures” of the Arts and Computer Sciences do in fact work together (if they do at all).

3)	recommendations for economic policy that is being led by the creative sector. In particular, funding for the Arts have been cut in recent years, despite the huge economic impact that the cultural industries have on local economies; while the funding for ICTs continues to increase without any apparent regard for the environmental problems caused by the development of the infrastructure that is required by a technological society – how can these two policy arcs be realigned in a focused and mutually beneficial way?

4)	maps of ICT networks that emphasize and link these two cultures.  If we can visualize how research networks overlap with artistic and literary capital, then perhaps improvements can be made to the systems of communication between the agents of these two cultures. Such an analysis can also be used as a valuable case study for other communities.

Thank you for your time and consideration of this message, and I hope it helps add to this conversation of methodological considerations.

Sincerely,

Peter Malachy Ryan
Peter Malachy Ryan, PhD Candidate
Rogers Fellow, Communication and Culture
Ryerson University

Blog: www.cprobes.com/pr

Today's Topics:

   1. Re: Community "Critical Mass"? (Dr. T. Michael Roberts)

Message: 1