[Air-l] preparing digital identity syllabus

Ren Reynolds ren at aldermangroup.com
Mon Dec 4 05:15:23 PST 2006

I jointly ran a one day session on digital identity at New York Law
school, as background for this I wanted people to have a look at
quite a range of approaches. In particular there seem to be two
worlds of identity discourse that I seldom see combine.

One is from Digital ID and IT security, which is not my area, but I
think can be typified by the work of the likes of Kim Camron, and the
piece 'The Laws of Identity: http://www.identityblog.com/?page_id=354

The second could very very broadly be typified by a social science
approach and the likes of Turkle and subsequent reactions /
rejections of her work. In this area, my proposed mash up as a quick
intro (note we were focusing particularly on Virtual Worlds /
Computer Games) was as follows:

S Turkle: Who Am We
In Reading Digital Culture ed D Trent

always_black: Bow Nigger
http://www.alwaysblack.com/blackbox/bownigger.html

R Bartle: Designing Virtual World
Chapter 3: Players  esp. pp174 - 185

S Zizek: The Plage of Fantasies
Cyberspace, or, the unbearable closure of being p133-143

D W Winnicott: Playing and Reality Ch 4 Playing - Creative activity
and the search for the self  pp53-64

M Consalvo, S Paasonen, Women & Everyday Uses of the Internet: Agency &
Identity. Gender, Identity, and (the limits of) play on the Internet pp.
21-43

D Williams, Trouble in River City - The Social Life of Video Games, Ch5
ON the Screen on the 'Net pp74-78 Social Capital and the internet.

As those that know some of the works above will see, I was trying to
present more of a dis-coherent view of identity rather than something
that fell comfortable into anyone's set of assumptions.

Some of my own work reacts against the what I see as an overly
technological driven view that frames identity very narrowly and pre-
supposes that it some form of property, I think it is far to early to
even think of closing off discussions about what digital identity is
(not that I'm suggesting anyone here was attempting that).

ren