[Air-l] writing effective questions to lists

Mary-Helen Ward mhward at usyd.edu.au
Sun Dec 10 23:15:46 PST 2006

I'd agree with that, as a fairly new member of this list and also a
PhD student. But to be fair, it is a good idea to try and narrow your
enquiry down a bit - do some searches, find out the general territory
before you post. Otherwise it can seem as if a post is being made
here in lieu of doing a search - I don't necessarily mean you
specifically, but maybe you can see it better if you think about the
difference between the questions "Does anyone have any leads on
material about the internet and time?" and "I've being looking at
material on the internet and time, and I've found that Mary Smith and
John Jones have both written on this, also some other people from a
project at XYZ university. I'm interested especially in [a particular
aspect of their research] - does anyone else have any more ideas or
leads?" The second question moves you into the area of engaging in
the discourse, entering the conversation and raising questions,
instead of simply looking for answers.

This isn't meant as a criticism, just as a general comment on
something I have seen here more than once.

M-H