[Air-l] public libraries adopting CTCs

Robert Cannon rcannon100 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 14 11:29:24 PST 2006

CTC's were originally funded by US HUD I believe.
This led to the creation of the non profit CTCNet
which still exists.  Now that the HUD funding is gone,
CTC's explore for alternative means of funding.
http://www.ctcnet.org/

Differing projects in the context of libraries would
suggest tech centers funded by the FCC ERATE program.
The ERATE program substantially supports telecom and
Internet access in schools and libraries - but
conditions that funding on compliance with the
Children's Internet Protection Act.  There are
additional conditions to ERATE funding such as turning
that technology into like a neighborhood ISP.  You
could not use ERATE I believe to set up for example a
municipal network based on Libraries - where you could
do something like that with CTCs.

So --- one distinction is funding and the restrictions
imposed by the different sources of fudning.

www.cybertelecom.org/usf/funding.htm

--- Kevin Guidry <krguidry at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/12/06, Michel J. Menou
> <Michel.Menou at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> >
> > What I'm wondering is whether this is an anomalous
> situation or part
> > of a larger trend.  I'm aware that numerous public
> libraries house
> > Community Technology Centers, but I have no
> information on how many of
> > these began life as independent projects and how
> many were library
> > initiatives from the start.
>
>    Can you please offer a working definition for
> "Community Technology
> Centers?"  I assume you are speaking of projects
> that differ
> appreciably from traditional computer labs or
> computing clusters.
> Pending a firm definition, there are two trends that
> may may relate to
> this topic:

Cybertelecom :: Federal Internet Law & Policy
            www.cybertelecom.org

WOCKEY WIKI - Washington Hockey Wiki
wockey.stikipad.com