[Air-l] Answering questions on mailing lists & general mailing list notes

David Brake d.r.brake at lse.ac.uk
Fri Dec 15 13:02:59 PST 2006

A few suggestions about answering questions on mailing lists like
this one since we seem to have 'done' asking them:

When providing references, an author name is good, a specific
citation is better, a citation with a URL is better still and a
citation with a brief synopsis of why the citation is of particular
relevance is best of all* If you suggest a book might have something
to say on a subject and can provide a specific page reference or two
that would help a lot - particularly when the book is long and the
mention is just a passing one. Though of course any helpful response
is better than none at all!

And four more general notes about this list in particular

1) please let's not discourage questioners. We were all first time
posters once. If you want to help by providing advice on how best to
post perhaps it could be done privately directly to the poster in
question so they don't feel publicly singled out? Or perhaps we could
send a generic message monthly with a summary of the AoIR's rules of
conduct together with some 'best practice' tips?

2) Please make sure (for your own sake as much as anyone's!) that
your private responses are sent directly to the person and not to the
list? If you hit 'reply' any response will go to the list

3) Similarly, if you are posting a response to something you read via
email digest please copy the subject line and put it into your own
subject line rather than making the subject re: AoIR mailing list
digest X and

4) Please please please remember to chop off the previous email
discussion from your response except insofar as the rest of the
conversation is needed to explain your own contribution. I and many
others read this list in digest form and it is much harder to read
when you have to end up reading the same messages quoted half a dozen
times in a single digest.

* Actually best of all in my case at least is if you can email the
relevant citations in Endnote format or some other popular
bibliographic software format but this mailing list doesn't support
attachments.

---
David Brake, Doctoral Student in Media and Communications, London
School of Economics & Political Science
<http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/media@lse/study/
mPhilPhDMediaAndCommunications.htm>
Also see http://davidbrake.org/ (home page), http://blog.org/
(personal weblog) and http://get.to/lseblog (academic groupblog)
Author of Dealing With E-Mail - <http://davidbrake.org/
dealingwithemail/>
callto://DavidBrake (Skype.com's Instant Messenger and net phone)