[Air-l] Answering questions on mailing lists & general mailing list notes

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Dec 15 17:44:06 PST 2006

On 12/15/06 4:02 PM, "David Brake" <d.r.brake at lse.ac.uk> wrote:

Good points to mention, David.

> 2) Please make sure (for your own sake as much as anyone's!) that
> your private responses are sent directly to the person and not to the
> list? If you hit 'reply' any response will go to the list

As a list admin for several lists myself, may I suggest that our illustrious
list admins here consider changing the default AIR-L "reply-to" so that such
replies go directly to the sender of the original note as opposed to the
entire list?   That way, if you hit "reply-to-all" you know everyone will
get it, but if you hit "reply-to" (as most folks do automatically in
responding to e-mail) it will only go to the sender of the note you're
responding to.   Granted, we *want* to facilitate discussion here, but it's
just a suggestion offered up for consideration.

I know in my case a few times I've sent stuff meant as a reply to someone
and watched it going to everyone.  :(  Many times, both here and elsewhere,
I go so far as to place something like "Off-List" in the subject line so my
intended recipient(s) know it's not coming from the list.

Anyway, just a thought.

-rf