[Air-l] Vanity Publishing

Charlie Balch charlie at balch.org
Sun Dec 17 18:33:51 PST 2006

While this thread reminds of some of the evils of the academic publish or perish environment, there are times when it makes sense to pay to publish. I can't recall if it has been brought up before in AOIR but the publishing world is changing.

Grant recipients are often required to publish via online venues that have free pubic access. Most journals are for profit and the profit has to come from somewhere.

There are times when it makes sense to print only a few copies of a book. Thus, I've also been very interested in short run publishing advances such as exemplified by http://lulu.com.

More to the point, given our easily searched world, Wikis and the like, blogs, to what extent are peer reviewed journals relevant? I'm not trolling (or at least not much) with this question. Journals are a relatively recent academic phenomena that occurred as result of changes in the publishing industry. Perhaps the changes in publishing associated with the Internet will also bring about change?

My focus is on how technology can enhance the learning environment. Much of what I read in scholarly journals is either very old news or a restatement of a theory with new buzz words.

Charlie Balch
In Dissertation Hell