[Air-l] The internet and time

Frank Thomas news.ftr at free.fr
Sat Dec 9 07:55:23 PST 2006

I would be interested whether Virilio's theories written in 1995 have
been confirmed by empirical research. Do you have any ideas about that ?

It would also be interesting to confront today's ideas about the
acceleration of time due to the Internet to the same theories made when
the telegraph or the telephone were introduced. See Ithiel de Sola Pool
for his retrospective forecasting of the changes introduced by the
telephone. Sometimes you get funny effects when you replace the term of
telephone by Internet. A sort of déjà vu.

Regards,
F. Thomas