[Air-l] writing effective questions to lists

James Howison jhowison at syr.edu
Sat Dec 9 18:54:13 PST 2006

There's a useful resource on asking questions in technical
communities here:

http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

I think it might be relevant because my interpretation is that it
discusses framing one's question as an intellectual, learning,
adventure and inviting the community to come on your adventure.  Part
of doing that is convincing people that you are on an adventure,
showing that you have done some initial work, showing the dead ends
you've come to and seeking a boost forward from the community that
will take you places that the community wants to go.

No doubt effective question asking and discussion prompting on
academic listservs is different in lots of interesting ways but
perhaps the framing above could help.  I look forward to the guide.

Cheers,
James