[Air-l] writing effective questions to lists

Dominic Pinto zorro at btinternet.com
Sun Dec 10 16:44:20 PST 2006

Dear Abi

It is certainly sad to hear that you've 'lurked' for
years and found no occasion on which you have the
confidence to say anything (or nuthin').

I'm no academic, and find quite often that
contributions and thoughts get no, and on the odd
occasion dismissive, reactions.

I thought it rathr hilarious to suggest that what you
posted (in all its naivity, etc., etc :-) ) was an
example (per our illustrious academic(s)) a "good
example on how NOT to answer a question".

It was of course both a good and a bad example of how
not to ASK a question. The amswer you were given was
'crappy', if I may be allowed, although the
recommendations as to how to pose questions is useful.

Questions may be broad, simplistic, narrow, and
frankly asinine. It's always worth thinking through
what to ask, rather then being so broad and open so as
to lead to people trying to figure out the usual -
what, why, when etc.

I'd say continue asking; think a bit more about what
you're asking; and forget about the stuffed shirts.

Dominic

--- Abigail Groves <a.groves at student.unsw.edu.au>
wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have been a member of this list for several years
> and as an unpublished
> graduate student, have lacked the confidence to
> contribute to discussion.  This
> was, in fact, the first time I have posted.  Being
> informed that my post was
> a 'good example of how not to ask questions' on a
> discussion list (!?!) is not
> likely to encourage my further participation.
> Thanks to those who responded to
> my query, which was deliberately broad.  Your
> suggestions have provided a
> useful reading list for my as-yet-unformed research
> into this subject.
> Abi
>

> Quoting Barry Wellman <wellman at chass.utoronto.ca>:
>
> > I'm gearing up to write a book on writing for the
> social scientists.
> >
> > I want to put in something about how to write in
> listservs, chat groups,
> > IM, etc.
> >
> > I was struck this week by Abigail's Q (see below)
> which I thought was a
> > good example on how NOT to answer a question,
> because it was so broadly
> > framed:

<snip>

Dominic Pinto BA MIEEE MCMI MRi FRSA