[Air-l] Answering questions on mailing lists & general mailing list notes

Jeremy Hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Sat Dec 16 10:14:44 PST 2006

The cost of individual embarassment, I argue is grossly outweighed by
the mutual benefit of shared communal knowledge and community
building of the current settings.  It is clear to me that from any
individual perspective, who might feel individual harm, that the harm
will always seem to outweigh the communal good, this is why we have
to be wary of the argument of individual harm, it is a variation of
the classic 'utility monster' problem of all arguments from utility.
If someone feels so significantly more harmed or harmable than
others, then the community is left with no response, in pursuit of a
shared good defined in utility, than to modify their actions to the
period of no harm.  In fact, if harm is an issue, the slippery slide
is that we should just close the list, as that is the only way of
preventing the harm mentioned.

The best way to solve the issue of harm from misposting is two fold.
First we recognize that harm will occur, and when it does, we should
sympathize and care for the harmed as one of us, and help them
recover as best as we can.   The second best way is to encourage
people to be aware of the list settings, a 'list literacy' campaign....