[Air-l] "a day in the life of the internet"

English, Nicole englishn at umkc.edu
Sun Dec 17 21:12:33 PST 2006

Hi...
Well ....  I may be going out on a limb here, but seems to me I remember being invited to participate in a project some years ago that had this same title....  or a similar one.... "a day in the life of the internet"

it was an invitation for folks to submit a description of how the Internet was integral to their lives over the course of a particular 24 hour day....  kind of like an "exquisite corpse" type of group project (if there is anyone around who still remembers those projects) ....  it was put together online as compilation of individual stories....  but eventually, it was actually published as a book, (if memory serves me correctly)....  much like _Zen and the Art the Internet_ started out as an online document and later was published as a book....  (You can still find that one and other early works on Project Guttenberg, one of my favorite sites.)

Don't know about any Ann Curry connection....  (but I did think (at the time) that the "24 hours in Cyberspace" was a photo version of this earlier written work)....

Unfortunately, I do not see any immediate references now to that Internet project any more....  perhaps it is now lost to early Internet lore... but I remember that it had quite a bit of media buzz about it at the time....  thinking it was at least 8 or 10 years ago, but it could be 15 years ago....  guess I am kind of dating myself.... and exposing myself as an early Net-junkie long before the Web became popular....  (*sigh*)
:S
NE....

Nicole English
Interdisciplinary PhD Program, Sociology/Psychology
Instructor, Program for Adult College Education (PACE)
University of Missouri--Kansas City (UMKC)
EnglishN at umkc.edu