[Air-l] TANSTAFL

Terry Calhoun splendid at umich.edu
Tue Dec 19 17:14:42 PST 2006

Second that, Barry. Our managing editor has been getting about $16/hr
for 20 hours a week as a law student, and I know from experience that
she's been a real bargain.

Likewise, a stipend of $20k/annual for an executive editor is not out of
line; we use a very senior retired person and he's worth every penny of
that and more.

Luckily, without printing and mailing costs, you save $$. OTOH, if you
try to replace maybe $10-15k of copy editing and fact checking with
volunteers, someone has to administer it and do quality checks.

In any case, significant time from experienced volunteers is also needed
for strategy and operations.

Then . . . would we want to solicit and fulfill sponsors and/or advertisers?

What about hosting and coding expenses for various functionalities?

- Terry Calhoun