[Air-l] TANSTAFL

Michael Baron webbaron at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 18:18:58 PST 2006

1) Having the journal online can save alot in distribution costs
2) I have been involved with a number of publications and all of them have
been proactive in seeking sponsorship. The more sponsorhip/adveritising the
journal can obtain - the better!

On 12/20/06, Terry Calhoun <splendid at umich.edu> wrote:

> Second that, Barry. Our managing editor has been getting about $16/hr
> for 20 hours a week as a law student, and I know from experience that
> she's been a real bargain.
>
> Likewise, a stipend of $20k/annual for an executive editor is not out of
> line; we use a very senior retired person and he's worth every penny of
> that and more.
>
> Luckily, without printing and mailing costs, you save $$. OTOH, if you
> try to replace maybe $10-15k of copy editing and fact checking with
> volunteers, someone has to administer it and do quality checks.
>
> In any case, significant time from experienced volunteers is also needed
> for strategy and operations.
>
> Then . . . would we want to solicit and fulfill sponsors and/or
> advertisers?
>
> What about hosting and coding expenses for various functionalities?
>
> - Terry Calhoun
>

> Barry Wellman wrote:
> > David Silver suggested our proposed journal be free to all, as JCMC
> seems
> > to be.
> >
> > But even if online there are costs, which someone has to pay for with
> > either bucks or sweat.
> >
> > I was the initial founder of _City & Community_, and am still on the
> > board. Here are some ideas about the costs, from memory, excluding
> > printing and postage.
> >
> > Managing editor (a grad student): $20K/year
> >
> > Editor (faculty member) teaching reduction -- if you're lucky, donated
> by
> > your university. If you're not, my university would charge about
> > $20K/year.
> >
> > Room -- will the university give it to you for free or charge rent.
> >
> > Furnishings: ibid
> >
> > Phone, xerox, etc. Figure $5K year.
> >
> > So a free journal is at least $25K a year in cost, and maybe twice that.
> > Unless you can convince the university to subsidize and a student to
> work
> > for free.
> >
> >  Barry Wellman
> >
> >   Barry Wellman   S.D. Clark Professor of Sociology   NetLab Director
> >   Centre for Urban & Community Studies          University of Toronto
> >   455 Spadina Avenue    Toronto Canada M5S 2G8    fax:+1-416-978-7162
> >   wellman at chass.utoronto.ca  http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman
> >         for fun: http://chass.utoronto.ca/oldnew/cybertimes.php

> > http://www.aoir.org/

"My Body is my Temple"
"Be The Change You Want to See In The World." Gandhi