[Air-l] Location Specific Blogs

Heath Row kalel at well.com
Tue Dec 19 23:43:54 PST 2006

I maintain a New York-specific blog called the New Yorkest at
http://heath.vox.com/ -- and folks might also be interested in the project
NYC Bloggers -- http://www.nycbloggers.com/ -- which maps blogs clustered by
subway stop. The proprietor(s) would make for an interesting interview.
Similarly, FeedMap -- http://www.feedmap.net/BlogMap/ -- might be worth
checking out.

Geocoding blogs and blog entries has yet to be widely adopted, but the
moblogging movement offers directional evidence that it's more and more
feasible.

I'm not aware of any formal studies of location-based blogs, however. Would
love to learn more. Warren Ellis credits me with coining the term
"mapblogging," which is clumsy. At the 2006 South by Southwest Interactive
conference, I moderated a panel that considered various approaches to
digitally annotating physical space. Participants included representatives
from Meetup, Dodgeball, Socialight, and the Yale School of Architecture.

Heath

--

Heath Row | mediadiet.net | heath.vox.com

this email is:   [ ] bloggable    [ x ] ask first   [ ] private