[Air-l] Community "Critical Mass"?

Hugemusic hmusic at ozemail.com.au
Thu Dec 21 18:15:27 PST 2006

Yes, well, these issues are perplexing, but not insurmountable.

I'm sure the early scientists who wondered why trees burn but (some) rocks
don't thought they had a similar problem on their hands ...

Maths can help with anything that can be quantified - strength of
relationships, passion of the content, capacity for "leakage" of involvement
(the extent to which participants have a choice of fora) even "importance to
our lives" can be quantified ... it's a matter of coming up with imaginative
and reproduceable metrics, crunching the numbers and seeing whether anything
useful emerges.

I read this morning
(http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/technology/s/231/231348_technology_could_spell_the_end_for_radio_djs.html?ref=emtaf&archive=archive)
about some people at Edinburgh who say they can replace DJs with a digital
agent to construct playlists tailored to your taste.  I'd love to see the
maths behind that.  No doubt it's a little primitive, but I also read
yesterday
(http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.php/archives/2006/12/20/the-man-from-google-returns/)
that Google can predict, based on seach data, the gross takings of a movie
with 82% accuracy - six weeks before its release!  And no doubt they'll get
more accurate with refinement.

The numbers can tell all sorts of stories if we begin to explore them -
we're just blinded by the size of the task and the lack of obvious metrics.

Incidentally, a quick peruse of the groups in Myspace shows a similar
pattern to the one you observe in Yahoo! groups and as has been reported
concerning blog activity.  Very Long Tail, all of them ... but wait - that's
a mathematical relationship!

Cheers,
Hughie