[Air-l] social networking websites research/grad student questions

Caroline Haythornthwaite haythorn at uiuc.edu
Mon Feb 20 09:42:41 PST 2006

A decision between a Business and an Information Science degree comes down
to who you want to teach when done, and which disciplinary practices and
knowledge you want to be embedded in.

If you want to teach future business people, then it's best to go for a business
degree. If you want to teach future librarians and/or information scientists, its
an LIS or Information Studies degree.  There are also communications schools to
consider; many now have people working on virtual community -- mixed with
an organizational communication focus you might bridge the business and
information worlds.

Another angle to consider is if you intend to build the virtual community
software (a computing orientation), help people use them (information studies),
market them (business), or study them as social phenomenon (information
studies, communications, sociology).

I think the best thing is to see whose research you like best -- i.e., that is
closest to what you want to do -- and then see where they work. Consider the
papers you are reading and see where these people work. That will give you an
idea of where the work you want to do is best accepted.

/Caroline