[Air-l] teens and myspace

Fred Stutzman fred at metalab.unc.edu
Tue Feb 28 18:41:19 PST 2006

I agree - this has been very interesting.

Lately I've been forming thoughts about the type of socializing teens are
doing in social network communities (SNC's), and I've stumbled upon an
interesting (anecdotal) insight.  Teens spend an enormous amount of time
"managing" social interaction in SNC's.  That is to say rather than
transposing their social existence into services like MySpace and Facebook,
they augment their social existence with a level of micro-management never
available before.  With an entire network of hundreds of "friends" at their
fingertips, and always-on communication tools like Instant Messenger and
SMS for connection, the perceived need to manage relationships is
never-ending.  To be a good Facebook friend, you've got to answer your
messages, post to your friend's walls, and return pokes; these extensions
of the service have become part of the normal social interaction.

The situation is compounded on both ends.  As inherently-curious students
have the ability to deeply explore and manage their social networks, the
upstart culture of the services impose good usage rules.  The inordinate
amount of time students spend in SNC's may be a side effect of the "new
rules" required to be a good "MySpace/Facebook/etc" friend.  Just as we
occasionally have that sort-of-uncomfortable "did you get my email?"
interaction, students are constantly having having to worry about who is
poking, messaging, and responding to whom, and juggling the status of their
virtual social interaction(s).  To conclude, I'm really not surprised that
students feel a sense of relief when they leave social networks; the
cognitive load of always-on social management might be very high.  I'd
wonder what percentage of students view these services as high-stress,
virtual monkeys on their backs.  I kid, but maybe not - if I had to spend
three hours a day on a website to satisfy all my social requirements, it
might get to me as well.

Regards,
Fred

--