[Air-l] SMSics

Ellis Godard ellis.godard at csun.edu
Thu Feb 9 12:23:50 PST 2006

I'm unaware of a sufficient term for SMS shorthand (including common sets of
abbreviations, dropped vowels, letters for numbers, systems of substitution,
etc.)

Thinking of "ebonics", I've invented "SMSics" (ess'-im ESS'-icks).

It rolls off the tongue nicely.

It sounds a bit sexy in potential paper titles ("The Evolution of SMSics";
"The Cultural Politics of Hegemonic SMSics", "Unicultural SMSics in a
Multicultural World"; "Sex Effects and SMSics")

And I could hear someone @ CNN stumbling over the teleprompted text the
first time they see it, but being proud to say it correctly half an hour
later, after getting producer input during the commercial break. :)

Like it?

-eg