[Air-l] FOAF and privacy

elw at stderr.org elw at stderr.org
Sun Feb 19 16:31:58 PST 2006

John Paolillo and Sarah Mercure and I (along with a few others) have had
many, many conversations about the way in which end-user privacy and FOAF
relate.  Stefan Decker, do you read this list?

There are a few hints of that in the paper that John and I did for the 1st
annual workshop on friend of a friend in Fall 04, and a few more (muted
hints) in the paper from ISWC last October.

You can find both of those via links in the sidebar at www.blogninja.com

We'd be happy to talk to you offlist (or onlist) about your thoughts or
concerns re: privacy as it pertains to social software data exchange.

As an aside, i *strongly* disagree with people who perceive that 'the data
genie is already out of the bottle', and use that as a logical basis for
stating that it is okay to use people's demographic and personal data
however one likes.  [We've heard this argument from people on numerous
occasions, now.] I think that kind of ethical blindness is... well,
extremely shortsighted and ill-considered.

--elijah