[Air-l] "It can't be legal unless you pay for it"

Louise Ferguson louise.ferguson at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 15:32:17 PST 2006

On 27/02/06, Heidelberg, Chris <Chris.Heidelberg at ssa.gov> wrote:

> Thanks David! This article is excellent for my literature review. I am
> nearly finished the first three chapters and I am adding targeted
> literature now. This piece really hits home that the industry has
> conducted a highly successful and effective anti-piracy communications
> campaign. When law enforcement is completely befuddled, it is easy for
> one to see how ordinary citizens are experiencing the chilling effects
> of legal crackdowns on fair use.

Not only is law enforcement befuddled, but industry associations in the UK
are now producing so-called educational materials that time-poor teachers
seem eager to use. These, off course, put forward only the industry's line.
The next generation is effectively being brainwashed.

I feel the recent launch of citizens' digital rights pressure groups in the
UK, the Republic of Ireland, and Canada, all within months of each other, is
no coincidence. Many are feeling that things have being going one way for
too long.

Louise Ferguson
Chair, Open Rights Group (UK)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Rights_Group