[Air-l] teens and myspace

Mechthild Maczewski mecht at uvic.ca
Tue Feb 28 10:10:38 PST 2006

I also think these issues are fascinating. A few more
thoughts:

 From doing interviews with young people who frequently use the Internet
and Cell Phones, I’m noticing that young people tend not to think of
'online', e.g.as a poor substitute for meaningful face to face
interactions, but that they are in the process of integrating the
technologies into their lives as different forms of interaction and
communication. The opportunities and drawbacks are recognized and
appreciated differently depending on who you talk to and their life
contexts. Being together in a group was still talked about as a richer
and preferred means of hanging out, with IM or cell communication often
used to organize these.

What communication medium to choose, when to use it, what to say and how
to say it, seemed to emerge from the interaction of many different
factors, like location (school, home, on the road, etc.), purpose, their
relationships with the other people and their own personal preferences.
Embarassment seemed to pop up, when the use didn't really "fit" - for
example, when the cell phone goes off in class or movie theatre and
everybody turns around and looks. It will be interesting to follow, how
and if these situations will change.

mechthild

Mechthild Maczewski
Interdisciplinary PhD Student