[Air-l] SCMC transcription suggestions.

joshua raclaw Joshua.Raclaw at colorado.edu
Thu Feb 23 10:24:24 PST 2006

Hi all,

I'm working on a transcription system for transcribing conversations held
through instant messages (specifically, through AIM)- it's based loosely off
of the system used in Garcia and Jacobs 1999 for chatroom data.  I'm
interested specifically in doing micro-analyses of the talk, so using logfiles
obtained through the program as data just aren't cutting it.  One of my
problems is recording silences in between utterances, since I'm aiming towards
measuring them in tenths of a second, and the only transcription software I'm
aware of can only measure gaps this closely from an audio file.  All obvious
lack of sound aside, I'm transcribing directly from a quicktime video file of
the interaction.

Is anyone aware of a transcription program that can precisely measure silences
straight from a video file?  Additionally, any other known examples from books
or articles of non-logfile transcription systems for synchronous CMC would be
appreciated.

Best,

Joshua

Joshua Raclaw - MA student