[Air-l] teens and myspace

Kevin Leander kevin.leander at vanderbilt.edu
Tue Feb 28 08:04:24 PST 2006

Hi Nancy and all,

In my own work with youth online (although not with MySpace) I've
found that more than any large distinction between online and offline
and their relative valuing, that the youth I've studied (alll heavy
online users) often have strong opinions/ways of valuing particular
online practices, services, and spaces. For instance, some are
strongly critical of different forms of netspeak, or critical of
speedrunning in gaming, or critical and fearful of chatrooms, etc.
Anyway, among this group of case studies the moral, aesthetic, and
social judgements about certain online practices and spaces have been
more pronounced than the online/offline distinction.

Kevin

--
Kevin Leander, Ph.D.
Vanderbilt University